Monday, July 09, 2007

WOW

OK I went and picked up HALF Of Liams belongings. there were six med/lg boxes and a bag! That is on top of the clothes he came with. He is in seventh heaven to have all of his things again.
He keeps asking which of the kids are adopted? Is Baby adopted? Do you want to adopt him? Is my other little brother (our 2y/o) are my big brothers?
He has had a hard time grasping that I am birth mom to 3 of them. He has a hard time understanding NOT all parents loose their kids. He thought all Moms and Dads "gave" their kids to "the office". I explained only some Moms and dad's need time to get things safe in their lives. He then said he birth mom and dad would soon have a safe place. Have you ever tried to explain to a 5 y/o that "hey sorry kid, your birth parents screwed the pooch and are never getting you back and lost their parental rights"? Finding the right words is HARD. I explained the best I could and then stated two positives. One he has a really cool grandpa he can talk to whenever he wants and two when he turns 18 he can find his birth mom and dad and ask them anything he wants. That seemed to make him feel much better.
I think I need to be looking into books to explain adoption to kids too!

2 comments:

KrazyMom said...

That puts you in a tough position. Finding the right words to say can't be easy.

I will bet it is comforting to him, to have his own belongings now! Was he excited?

Angel The Alien said...

Poor little dude... that is sad that he just assumes that all birth parents lose their kids! He's still little though... he's got lots of time to sort things out!