Sunday, July 08, 2007

Well I made the first step

I looked up Babys tribe online and placed a call. I am not sure how far it will get though. The CW said I was welcome to contact the tribe. I almost feel like it is a test. On of those "Let's see if she makes an effort" things. I emailed the CW Sat (I know she won't get it until Monday) to ask if there was a POC for the tribe I should have. The CW liked the notes I kept on Baby. She said she rarely gets things like that and she was impressed. All it is is notes about things that happen, I observe and any milestones that are reached.
Now I am sad for Baby too. I know he is in a home where TRUST me he is loved and well taken care of. But when parents do not even ask about their child or request the visits they are entitled to in 3 weeks...... Well that would break anyones heart. makes me angry too.
the question of the hour.... Will we be the adoptive placement for Baby? The CW made a comment she is glad we have an approved home study and that she hopes this is all wrapped up before it expires. What does that imply to you? Yeah me too.
So I will do my best to comply with everything and still keep notes and make court dates. Also I am doing my best to meet Babys cultural needs. Maybe the tribe will also look favorably on that?? Who knows. I have been reading up on ICWA and I am not any more clear than when I began.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I am interested to hear how things work with your family and baby's tribe. our two foster sons are both members of a native american tribe and their case is moving towards termination (unless birthmom signs off voluntarily)and I have been trying to get a handle on ICWA myself.
If the boys are still with us (and they probably will be) in the spring, we hope to get them to one of the pow wow's held nearby that are open to the non native community. beyond that, i am not sure what else we can do culture wise with them....