Friday, April 20, 2007

Talk about jumping in

We got our foster care cherry popped to put it crudely. The worker who dropped the boys off literally did just that, dropped and ran. This is my my first placement I am new to it all. I get a "here are the boys here is their 'stuff'. Bye" I got two beautiful little boys a change of clothes for one of them and their files. That is it. It made me realized hoe unprepared I was. I really should have had some underwear and socks at the very least. The oldest of the boys was ready to make his own dinner and do it all himself. He wasn't sure what to do when I told him that here, the mommy makes the meals.
Reading why the boys are in care. Well I am glad they were not actually involved. I need to come up with some cute nicknames for the little guys.
How long will they be here? we have no idea. Neither did the placement coordinator. Of course the hope is that they will get back with their mom soon.

Thank you to Baggage and her wonderful readers for all of their support. Dang now I sound like a Bartyle and James commercial.

The baby girl is no longer pending immediate delivery. They have stopped moms labor. The baby girl is due next month so that is a good thing ;) I will still be called by the workers or the hospital when she is born. I will have to head down to the University to pick her up. But it is all worth it.

5 comments:

Liveinashoe said...

Oh damn. I forgot to tell you about the socks and underwear. They never seem to have socks and underwear.

What I did is just take those rubbermaid containers and label them Toddler Boy, Infant Boy, Infant Girl etc. Then start filling them! I'm sure you have stuff that doesn't fit the boys right now. Also, check your freecycle. I know you do already but if you need clothes you might want to send out a wanted post.

You should get a clothing allowance for the boys. They will either give you a voucher or you will have to turn in receipts. Find out today how much they are entitled to. And save your receipts!

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Gina said...

I more than likely have enough in bins to clothe these boys to the hilt. I was not sure if I could use those clothes. I know idiot. But this was all tossed in my lap.
I think! I will have to check. They still need the basics. Underwear and socks. I am still kicking myself for forgetting that. Of course PJ's too.
Going through thei folders. I have a $100 clothing voucher for each boy. It is falling into place.

Liveinashoe said...

Alright! Yup, you can use anything as long as you treat your bio boys the same. What I mean is don't dress Grady in Baby Gap and your foster sons in yard sale. Not that you would, but you get what I'm saying. Yard sales, thrift stores, freecycle. Whatever you can figure out. And go spend those vouchers!

Floyd said...

HOLY SMOKES!!!

What a shock to the system this must be! Hang in there!

leslie said...

Hi, I found your blog via baggage. I just wanted to say, I, to am new to the foster system and had a very similar experience! I met the CPS worker t the DHS building and they literally transfered her to my car and said "good luck, hope you sleep tonight!" Anyway, hang in there! It will get better as time goes by!