Thursday, November 08, 2007

I remember

my time spent with my grandmother over the years growing up. My grandmother passed away a few years back due to "Alzheimers related complications. The last few years my grandmother spent in a nursing facility. My grandfather had so much love for her I know it was the most difficult decision he hd ever had to make in his life. He wqas unable to keep up with her increasing demands as she got worse over the years. I know how much it hurt him that she did not remember the home they shared for what 50 years? No close I think 40 years. They raised seven children there in that little three bedroom house (that in itself amazed me). But the love they shared the life they shared. It was all forgotten because of a devistating illness. But do you know what? My grandfather went to the nursing home EVERY single day to visit his wife. That type of love and devotion, every one can only hope for someone to share eternity with like that. That nursing home was a great thing for my grandmother. Caring for someone with Alzheimers is so heart wrenching. Having the proper care is vital. Not only for the person who is living with the disease, but for the people who love that person.
With what I said about my grandfather, how he visited her every day even though she did not know him he was still there every day. Some people though are not that lucky. they suffer this disease alone. no family to comfort them and no memories either. Around the holidays these individuals may need a little extra from those of us out there who can help. I want to suggest that you visit the Alzheimers Foundation of America store. The proceeds all benefit the foundation itself. so many good things can be done for research and support if only everyone just did a little, buy a small holiday gift if you can. This is one of those worthy causes that I really feel strongly about.



No comments: